November 7, 2012
At the Ferry Plaza Farmers Market, you'll find everything you need for a local, sustainable Thanksgiving. To inspire your menus, here are some resources and seasonal recipes from our farmers and some of the chefs who shop at the market.
Please join us in giving thanks to the hard-working farmers, farmworkers, and food artisans who make this bounty possible for the holidays and throughout the year. Happy Thanksgiving!
Thanksgiving Week Farmers Market Schedule
There will be no Thursday market on Thanksgiving Day, November 22. We will have a special Wednesday market on November 21. The market is open on the following days for all of your holiday needs:
- Saturday, November 17, 8 am to 2 pm
- Tuesday, November 20, 10 am to 2 pm
- Wednesday, November 21, 10 am to 2 pm
Shop with Ease
Use our Veggie Valet, a free service that allows you to drop off your farmers market purchases and either continue shopping or grab your car for curbside pickup. The Veggie Valet is open until 1 pm. Check in at the Information Booth.
Introducing Our Chef Market Basket
CUESA and Good Eggs are teaming up to bring the talents of the best local chefs to your Thanksgiving table. Introducing the "Everything but the Bird" Chef Market Basket, a Thanksgiving kit complete with four delicious side dish recipes and all the ingredients, fresh from the Ferry Plaza Farmers Market. The easy-to-follow recipes promise foolproof results in your kitchen.
Order online through Good Eggs before November 18 and pick up your basket at the Ferry Plaza Farmers Market or have it delivered on November 20 or 21. (Pre-orders for Thanksgiving have ended. Check back at Good Eggs for future Chef Market Baskets.)
This Thanksgiving, serve a succulent, antibiotic-free, humanely raised bird (or vegetarian alternative) from a Ferry Plaza Farmers Market purveyor. Read last year's article about heritage and pasture-raised turkeys at the market.
The following sellers are taking pre-orders:
- Marin Sun Farms offering a limited number of pasture-raised heritage and Broad-Breasted Bronze turkeys, turkey stock, and ham, all from their network of local farms. You may reserve through their website and pick up from the Ferry Plaza Farmers Market on November 17. For questions, contact Mike by phone at 415.663.8997 x106 or email.
- Mountain Ranch Organically Grown has a limited number of organic heritage turkeys and quarts of turkey stock. Buy your bird early or pre-order at their stand at the Saturday market, or contact Norman Gunsell by phone at 209.754.5253 or email. The Gunsells raise all their birds themselves on pasture with certified organic feed. Read more about their turkeys.
- 4505 Meats's famous turducken is back by popular demand in grand and junior sizes. They also have heritage breed smoked turkeys, smoked pork rillettes, and other Thanksgiving treats. Order online.
- Hodo Soy Beanery has vegan, non-GMO tofu roast and soy nog for the holidays. (Pre-orders have ended. No longer available.)
Overstuffed oven? Tight on time? Craving creativity? Check out these seasonally inspired offerings from the CUESA recipe archive.
Holiday Favorites from Our Farmers
Apple Cider Pie (from Hidden Star Orchards)
Walnut Pie (from Glashoff Farms)
Nutloaf-Stuffed Delicata Squash (from Green Gulch Farm)
Radicchio with Butternut Squash, Walnuts, Mozzarella, and Herby Vinaigrette (from Dirty Girl Produce)
Creamy Squash and Bacon Soup (from Capay Organic)
Acorn Squash and Pumpkin Bisque
Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Honey, Rosemary, and Hazelnuts*
Rainbow Chard with Squash Seeds*
Baked Pumpkin Squash (Zucca al Forno)*
*Included in the "Everything but the Bird" Chef Market Basket.
CUESA's Thanksgiving Guide and Chef Market Basket photos by Kimberley Hasselbrink/Good Eggs. Turkey photos fom Marin Sun Farms.