Glenn Stonebarger and Roy Ghiggeri, along with 7 full-time and 60 seasonal employees.
1200 acres in Brentwood, about 55 miles from the Ferry Plaza Farmers Market.
Emilio Ghiggeri planted the first sweet corn in Brentwood in the 1940s, when the area was known primarily for its production of lettuce, apricots, and melons. The farm became G&S (Ghiggeri and Stonebarger) Farms in the 1980s, when Glenn Stonebarger, who is a third-generation Brentwood farmer, married Emilio’s daughter, Jeannie. Today, Brentwood is famous for its sweet corn production, and in particular, a variety called Brentwood Diamonds, which G&S Farms was the first to grow in the 1990s.
G&S Farms maintains soil fertility by rotating crops and adding synthetic fertilizers.
Drip, flood and sprinkler irrigation.
Pests are controlled with synthetic pesticides.
G&S Farms trials between 250 and 400 different varieties of corn annually. Of those, only the best 5 varieties are ever planted for commercial production.
CUESA (Center for Urban Education about Sustainable Agriculture) is dedicated to cultivating a sustainable food system through the operation of farmers markets and educational programs. Learn More »