Gary Alfieri, along with 2 full-time and 10 seasonal or part-time workers.
150 acres in Escalon and Ripon, about 90 miles from the Ferry Plaza Farmers Market.
Gary’s grandfather starting farming in 1926 and Gary’s father began working on the farm when he returned from serving in the army during World War II. Gary and his two brothers and sister were raised on the farm and grew up farming alongside their father. Gary took over the farm when his father passed away and raised his four children on the farm.
To maintain soil fertility, the farm uses a combination of cover crops, compost, and synthetic fertilizers.
Drip and flood irrigation with water from reservoirs.
Hand weeding, mowing, and a minimum of herbicides.
For pest control, the farm primarily relies on beneficial insects like ladybugs.
On G. L. Alfieri Farms stands a building constructed during the California Gold Rush that served as a stagecoach stop. The site was also home to the first schoolhouse in San Joaquin County.
CUESA (Center for Urban Education about Sustainable Agriculture) is dedicated to cultivating a sustainable food system through the operation of farmers markets and educational programs. Learn More »