Turnip Soup with Pomegranate and Walnuts
Source: Jake Des Voignes, Local: Mission Eatery
This recipe appears in CUESA's Chef Market Basket, a complete dinner kit with three recipes and all the ingredients you need to cook them, fresh from the Ferry Plaza Farmers Market. Learn more.
Serves 2 or 3
2 tablespoons butter
½ yellow onion, diced small
1 bunch baby fennel, diced small
2 ribs of celery, diced small
Salt to taste
6 to 8 purple-top turnips, roughly chopped
7 sprigs thyme, destemmed
¾ cup heavy cream
Juice of one Meyer lemon
¼ pound walnuts, roughly chopped
½ pomegranate, seeded
Olive oil (for garnish)
1. Heat the butter in a small pot. Add the onion, fennel, and celery and sweat until translucent. Season with salt to taste.
2. When the vegetables are tender, add the turnips and thyme.
3. When the turnips are tender, add 2 cups of water and bring it to a simmer. Add the cream and bring it back to a simmer. Add the lemon juice and blend the soup in a blender or food processor. Taste and add salt as needed.
4. Toast the walnuts in the oven or toaster oven.
5. Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with the walnuts, pomegranate seeds, and a drizzle of olive oil.