Thai Curry Root Vegetable Stew with Jasmine Rice
Source: Patrick Clark, Sutro’s at the Cliff House
Serves 8 to 10
10 dried Thai chilies
5 stalks lemon grass
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon galangal or young ginger
½ bunch cilantro, stems and leaves
1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
1 tablespoon shallot, chopped
1 tsp shrimp paste (optional)
1 tsp tumeric
6 14-ounce cans coconut milk
5 carrots, large dice
2 celery root, large dice
4 parsnips, large dice
4 gold beets, large dice
2 red onions, large dice
1 bunch Thai basil
10 Kaffir lime leaves
2 pounds jasmine rice
For the Thai curry
Combine all ingredients into a mortar and use the pestle to mash until a thick paste forms. This will take about 20 – 30 minutes to complete.
For the root vegetables
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Boil the root vegetables until done. Drain the vegetables and place into a large bowl with ice water to stop them from cooking further.
- Using a large sauté pan, heat 2 tablespoons of the Thai curry paste. Cooking the paste first enhances the flavors of the curry ingredients. Add all the coconut milk and let simmer for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Add the vegetables and Kaffir lime leaves to the curry mixture; continue to simmer until the vegetables are thoroughly reheated.
- Cook the jasmine rice according to the directions found on the packaging.
- Plate a large spoonful of jasmine rice first and then top with a large spoonful of the Thai curry root vegetable stew.