Susanne Stampke, Pastry Chef, The Plant Café Organic
1 pint strawberries, washed hulled and quartered
3 cups unbleached white flour
½ cup sugar
2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
6 ounces butter, cold
1 cup buttermilk
Goat cheese cream
3 tablespoons sugar
2 ounces cream cheese
6 ounces goat cheese
¾ cup heavy cream
1 cup balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons sugar
1 pint strawberries, washed, hulled and quartered
2 tablespoons sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 350º. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut the butter into small pieces and blend into the flour mixture with a pastry blender or two knives. The mixture should look like coarse crumbs. Whisk together the egg, and buttermilk and add to the flour mixture, mixing just until the dough comes together. Do not over mix the dough.
- Scoop about ⅓ cup of dough onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet (keep them evenly spaced at least 3-inches apart). Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until nicely browned and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
For the goat cheese cream
Combine the above ingredients in a bowl and mix to combine
For the balsamic reduction
Combine the vinegar and sugar in a small sauce pan, place over low heat and cook until reduced to a syrup.
For the strawberry sauce
Combine the above ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth. Reserve until needed.
- Cut the short cakes in half and place the bottom half of the cake on a plate.
- Gently spread the bottom with about 1 tablespoon of the goat cheese cream then top with strawberries.
- Place the top half of the shortcake on the strawberries. Drizzle the plate with strawberry sauce and balsamic reduction.
CUESA (Center for Urban Education about Sustainable Agriculture) is dedicated to cultivating a sustainable food system through the operation of the Ferry Plaza Farmers Market and its educational programs. Learn More »