Source: Sarah Henkin, CUESA's Market Chef
16 baby artichokes
2 lemons, zested and halved
½ pound baby carrots
1 bunch breakfast radish
1 bunch jumbo asparagus
Handful “soft” fresh herbs, whatever is freshest- mint, parsley, cilantro, etc
Extra virgin olive oil
Ricotta Salata, for garnish
Handful arugula flowers, for garnish
- Prepare the baby artichokes: squeeze half of one lemon into a bowl of water and keep another half next to your work surface. Slice off the top ½ of the artichoke and rub the exposed surface. Peel the tough outer green leaves off until you reach the pale tender inner leaves, rub with lemon. Slice off the tip of the stem if it is still attached and peel the fibrous outer layer of the stem, rub with lemon and add to the bowl of water. Repeat with remaining artichokes. Set aside.
- Prepare radishes: chop off greens if still attached and, if they are vibrant, reserve for later use. Wash radish well in cold water. Set aside.
- Prepare carrots: wash and peel, set aside.
- Prepare asparagus: snap off woody ends and with a vegetable peeler peel each spear into ribbons. Toss in a bowl with a little lemon juice and salt.
- Bring a pot of salted water to boil. Prepare a bowl of ice water next to the stove. Add the artichokes and cook until tender about 7-10 minutes. Remove from pot with a skimmer and add to the ice water. Bring the water back up to a boil and add the carrots, cook until just tender- just for a couple minutes and add remove from pot into ice water. Repeat with the radish.
- Make dressing by squeezing lemon juice into a bowl, add lemon zest, a pinch of salt, and herbs. Whisk in olive oil. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed. Drain and dry the cooked vegetables. Slice them in half lengthwise and add to serving bowl. Toss with the asparagus ribbons and enough dressing to coat the vegetables. Garnish with thin slices of ricotta salata and asparagus flowers and serve.