Gabriel Cole, Google Café (May 31, 2008).
This recipe was demonstrated by Gabriel Cole of Google Café at CUESA’s Market to Table programs on May 31, 2008.
12 ounces lamb tenderloin
1 tablespoon neutral oil such as grape seed or safflower oil
1 cup cherries, halved and pitted
2 cups port wine
3 shallots, finely minced
2 tablespoons veal demi-glace (or substitute no salt chicken stock)
½ bunch fresh thyme, picked and finely chopped
¼ cup unsalted pistachios, chopped
2 tablespoons butter
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Trim excess fat off lamb’s exterior; slice into medallions. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place sauté pan on high heat and add vegetable oil. When pan is smoking, add lamb medallions and sear on each side for about 2 minutes.
- Place lamb loin in oven for another couple minutes until desired doneness has been reached.
- While pan is still hot, add shallots to pan and cook about 1 minute. Add cherries, half the thyme, port wine and reduce by half.
- Add veal demi-glace and reduce that by half. Turn off heat and whisk in butter and remaining thyme.
- Add pistachios and spoon sauce on top of lamb loin.
CUESA (Center for Urban Education about Sustainable Agriculture) is dedicated to cultivating a sustainable food system through the operation of farmers markets and educational programs. Learn More »