Poached Apricots and Walnut Crisps
Source: Daniel Capra, Paula LeDuc Fine Catering.
This was demonstrated at CUESA's Market to Table Program on June 25, 2010. INGREDIENTS
7 apricots (not overripe)
1 ½ cup riesling
½ cup sugar
1 tablespoon peppercorns
1 ACME walnut levain
2 tablespoons melted butter
For the apricots
- Make a small ‘x’ on each apricot, plunge in boiling water for 30 seconds, shock in ice water.
- Carefully peel skin from apricots, cut in half and remove pit – place 6 halves cut side down in a small container.
- Rough chop 1 apricot and pout in a small stainless steel pot with wine and sugar – bring to a simmer and add peppercorn.
- Gently simmer for 10 minutes, place contents in a blender and carefully blend.
- Strain through a fine mesh strainer and, while hot, pour over apricots and allow to cool completely before refrigerating.
For the walnut crisps
- Slice the bread as thin as possible (refrigerate the bread overnight, unwrapped; this will make it more slicable).
- Lay on a buttered parchment lined sheet tray.
- Brush with more butter and lay another sheet of parchment and another sheet tray on top.
- Bake at 325° for about 15 minutes or until crisp.
Place each apricot on a slice of Cowgirl Creamery Mt. Tam, or another creamy cheese. Serve with crisps.