Source: Christophe Hille, A16 Restaurant.
Chard, borage, or rapini can be used as a substitute for nettles. Alternately, a mix of any of the above can be used. This recipe may be served with a simple tomato sauce or lemon wedges.
2 cups nettles, drained weight after blanching
Salt, to taste
1 pound chopped mozzarella
4 large eggs
1/3 cup grated Parmesan or pecorino cheese
1/4 cup breadcrumbs plus more for coating
Olive oil for frying
- In a food processor, pulse together the nettles and salt. Mix until well-chopped but not smooth.
- Transfer to a large mixing bowl. Add the remaining ingredients to form a well-seasoned, homogenous mix.
- Using a 2-oz ice cream scoop, portion the mix and roll it into balls.
- Roll the balls in a bowl with breadcrumbs to coat completely.
- Heat olive oil in a heavy, deep pan and fry the polpettini in olive oil until well-browned and cooked through. Drain on towels.