Mascarpone Peach "Ice Cream" & Flourless Honey Almond Cake
Source: Recipe by Trace Leighton of Nibblers Eatery & Wine Bar.
This recipe was demonstrated on July 18, 2009.
Flourless Honey Almond Cake
Butter, for greasing pan
Flour, to coat pan
2 cups ground almonds
4 eggs, separated
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons honey, divided
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sliced almonds
Mascarpone Peach "Ice Cream"
3 pounds peaches, peeled, pitted and chopped into very small pieces
1/4 cup sugar, or more if needed
1/2 cup mascarpone
For the cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a springform pan. Set aside.
- Place ground almonds on a lined cookie sheet. When oven is fully heated, toast until lightly brown and aromatic, about 5 minutes.
- Beat egg yolks with honey, vanilla, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl of a stand mixer on medium speed until well combined. Add ground almonds and beat on low until combined.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat egg whites until doubled in volume but not into peaks, about 1 to 2 minutes. Mix 1/2 cup of egg whites into the nut mixture and combine. Fold the remaining egg whites gently into the mixture. Once combined, scrape the contents of the bowl into springform pan.
- Place pan into oven and bake until top is golden brown and skewer comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes in pan. Release from pan with a knife, gently remove pan ring, and cool cake completely on pan bottom. To serve, remove cake from base; if desired, honey drizzle with honey and sliced almonds and serve.
For the "Ice Cream"
Arrange the peach pieces in a single layer on a rimmed cookie sheet and freeze solid for at least two hours. Place the frozen peach pieces in a food processor with the sugar and pulse for 15 to 20 seconds. Add mascarpone and pulse until the mixture is completely smooth. Empty the food processor into a small container. Cover the surface of the ice cream directly with plastic wrap and freeze for at least 30 minutes before serving. If the ice cream freezes solid, simply pulse it briefly in the food processor again before serving.