Leek and Chard Bisque
Source: Charles Vollmar, Chef and Owner, Epicurian Exchange.
4 bunches Swiss chard
5 cups low-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
2 cups whole milk
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/4 cup crème fraîche
1 bunch chives, minced
- Trim the leeks, using the white part only, clean and finely mince.
- Rinse the chard leaves, remove the ribs and cut them into 1/4-inch dice, and coarsely chop the leaves.
- In a large, heavy-bottomed sauce pan over medium-high, combine the minced leeks, chopped chard stems and leaves and the chicken broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 10 – 12 minutes.
- Lift the cooked chard and leeks from the cooking liquid and transfer to a food processor. Add 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid to the processor and reserve the remainder in the pan. Process the mixture until smooth.
- Return the mixture back to the pan and cook over medium heat. Add the milk and season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with a dollop of and minced chives. Serve immediately.