Lamb Ragu with English Peas
Source: James Stolich, Cook with James
This recipe was demonstrated for CUESA's Market to Table program on June 30, 2012.
Serves 6 to 8
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 yellow onion, diced
1 pound ground lamb
4 lamb merguez sausages, removed from their casings
1 (28-ounce) can of tomatoes, crushed by hand into a bowl
1 pound best-quality dried pasta, such as rigatoni
1 pound fresh English peas, shucked
1. In a heavy-bottomed pan, warm the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and a pinch of salt and sweat until translucent, 4 to 5 minutes.
2. Add all of the ground lamb and sausage. Use a wooden spoon to break it apart and stir gently, mixing with the onion, until lightly brown, 4 to 5 minutes.
3. Add the tomatoes. Fill the can halfway with cold water and add it to the pan. Add salt and bring the whole mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 30 to 90 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season to taste.
4. Cook the pasta until al dente.
5. Ten minutes before serving, add the English peas to the sauce and stir. Serve with the pasta.