Grilled Peach, Quinoa, and Arugula Salad
Source: Erica Holland-Toll, Prather Ranch Meat Co. American Eatery
This recipe was demonstrated for CUESA's Market to Table program on July 28, 2012.
1 whole large peach, cut in half and pit removed
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Pinch of salt
Chile flakes to taste
1 cup quinoa
Sherry vinaigrette (see below)
½ cup toasted chopped almonds
4 big handfuls wild arugula, cleaned
1 sprig mint, leaves picked and torn into small pieces
6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
Squeeze of lemon
Kosher salt and pepper to taste
1. Toss the peach halves with the olive oil, salt, and chile flakes. (Peaches can be delicious with a touch of spice!)
2. Grill the peach halves over a medium-high flame, cut-side down, until the juices start to run. Flip over and continue to grill until the juices begin to pool at the edges of the skin. Let cool.
3. Add the quinoa to salted boiling water with a splash of extra-virgin olive oil and cook for about 12 minutes.
4. To make the sherry vinaigrette, whisk together the olive oil, sherry vinegar, lemon, salt, and pepper.
5. When the peaches are cool, cut each half into 6 pieces. Toss the peaches, quinoa, half of the almonds, and half of the arugula in a bowl with half of the sherry vinaigrette, half of the mint, and a touch of salt.
6. Pile the other half of the wild arugula on 4 plates (or one large platter). Mound the peach and quinoa salad on the arugula and garnish with the rest of the almonds, torn mint, and a drizzle of the sherry vinaigrette.