Sondra Bernstein, Proprietor, and John Toulze, Executive Chef, the girl & the fig™.
2 green tomatoes
½ cup buttermilk
½ cup panko
¼ cup cornmeal
¼ cup flour
¼ cup grated Vella Dry Jack cheese (can substitute Parmesan)
1½ teaspoons chipotle powder
1½ teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
1 teaspoon pepper
2 cups oil for frying
2 tablespoons butter, plus 2 tablespoons for roux
½ white onion, diced
1 leek, diced
1 celery rib, diced
1 shallot, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
Salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
1 cup white wine
3 ears yellow corn (save one cup of kernels for veloute; the remainder goes into relish. Set cobs aside)
1 sachet of herbs (3 thyme sprigs, 1 bay leaf, 5 peppercorns tied in cheese cloth)
1 pinch saffron
3 tablespoons flour
1 cup cream
Tomato & Corn Relish
1 pint cherry tomatoes, cut in half
1 cup corn kernels, reserved from veloute sauce
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tablespoons chopped chives
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
For the green tomatoes
- Slice off ends of tomatoes and portion remainder into three slices per tomato. Place the buttermilk in a shallow bowl. In another bowl mix together panko, cornmeal, flour, cheese, chipotle, paprika, salt & pepper.
- In a heavy-bottomed skillet, heat oil up to 350 degrees. Place green tomatoes in buttermilk, allow excess buttermilk to fall free, and toss in flour mixture. Place tomatoes in oil and cook for 1 minute on each side, remove and season lightly with salt & pepper.
For the corn veloute
- In a medium sauce pan, heat 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat and add onion, leek, celery, shallot & garlic. Season lightly and cook until translucent. Deglaze with white wine and reduce until almost dry.
- Add reserved corncobs and sachet and just cover with water (approximately 2 ½ cups). Bring stock to a boil, reduce to a simmer, add saffron and cook for 25 minutes. Remove cobs and sachet. Add 1 cup corn kernels and puree. Strain and keep warm.
- Place the remaining butter into a saucepan and melt over low heat. Add flour all at once and cook, stirring constantly, until flour and butter have created a smooth roux. Do not brown. Slowly add stock, constantly stirring. Bring to a low simmer and add cream slowly, again stirring constantly. Reduce sauce to desired consistency and adjust seasoning.
For the tomato and corn relish
- In a bowl, mix all ingredients together.
To Serve: Pour veloute on six plates. Place once slice of tomato on each plate and garnish with tomato and corn relish. Serve immediately.
CUESA (Center for Urban Education about Sustainable Agriculture) is dedicated to cultivating a sustainable food system through the operation of the Ferry Plaza Farmers Market and its educational programs. Learn More »