Ben Weisberger, Hyatt Regency San Francisco
This recipe was demonstrated for CUESA’s Market to Table program on March 8, 2014.
1 medium shallot, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
2 tablespoons butter
Salt and pepper
2 tablespoons minced garlic, divided
4 ounces Arborio rice
6 ounces dry white wine
1 quart hot vegetable or chicken stock, divided
½ cup sliced leeks
3 ounces mushrooms (your choice of variety), sliced
2 stalks large or 6 stalks skinny asparagus, cut on the bias
¼ bunch kale, stems removed if tough, chopped into ½-inch pieces
1. In a medium pot, sauté the shallot in 1 tablespoon olive oil and the butter over medium heat. Season with salt and pepper. Once the shallot is translucent, add 1 tablespoon of the minced garlic and the Arborio rice. Sauté until the rice is well coated with the oil and butter, and the rice develops a nutty aroma (about 3to 5 minutes).
2. Add the wine and cook until the volume of liquid is reduced by half.
3. Add enough stock to cover the rice (about 10 to 12 ounces; this is the first of three additions of stock). Bring to a boil, then reduce the temperature to a simmer. Stir the risotto occasionally, but not constantly.
4. Once the stock is absorbed into the rice, add another 10 to 12 ounces of stock, bring to a boil, and reduce to a simmer. Stir the risotto occasionally, but not constantly.
5. When the stock is absorbed into the rice, add the third addition of stock and cook until the rice is al dente (to the tooth).
6. While the rice is cooking, heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil in a separate pan. Sauté the leeks, allowing them to begin caramelizing, then add the mushrooms. Once the mushrooms begin to develop some color, add the asparagus and kale. Finish by adding the remaining garlic, being careful not to burn it. Season with salt and pepper.
7. When the rice is al dente, fold in the sautéed vegetables, reserving ¼ cup to garnish the top of the risotto. Serve in bowls or on plates, garnishing with the reserved vegetables and shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano.
CUESA (Center for Urban Education about Sustainable Agriculture) is dedicated to cultivating a sustainable food system through the operation of the Ferry Plaza Farmers Market and its educational programs. Learn More »