Escarole and Cannellini Zuppa
Source: Christophe Hille, A16.
Serves 2 to 4
1 quart Cannelini beans, cooked and salted, left to rest in the cooking liquid
1 quart escarole, blanched, shocked in ice water and roughly chopped
1 small onion, diced
3 ribs celery, diced
8 ounces canned tomato, milled
2 cloves garlic, sliced paper thin
2 each bay leaves
Pinch of dry chiles
Abundant olive oil
Salt to taste
- In a large stock pot or rondeau, sweat the onions, celery in around a cup of olive oil.
- Add the escarole and saute in the mixture to soften a bit.
- Add the tomato and beans with enough of the bean liquid to cover the ingredients.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer for just long enough to bring the flavors together.
- Remove from the heat and add the sliced garlic and chile flakes.
- Can be served immediately or cooled down and stored for later use.
- Serve with a generous slice of grilled bread rubbed with garlic, and extra olive oil poured over the soup.