Yield: about 9 servings
1 cup buttermilk
2 large eggs
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1 ⅓ cups cornmeal
⅔ cup all-purpose flour
¼ cup sugar
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 cup fresh blueberries, rinsed
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk and melted butter. In a separate bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Fold dry mixture into wet. Gently fold blueberries into the batter.
3. If using a skillet, warm it over a low flame and melt another teaspoon or so of butter in the skillet – enough to coat.
4. Pour batter into skillet. Bake at 375 degrees for about 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
5. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes.
Photo and text courtesy of The Year in Food.
CUESA (Center for Urban Education about Sustainable Agriculture) is dedicated to cultivating a sustainable food system through the operation of farmers markets and educational programs. Learn More »