This recipe was demonstrated for CUESA's Market to Table program on June 2, 2012.
2 cups whole almonds, skins on
½ teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons honey
6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 bunch purslane, washed
½ bunch arugula
1 pint sweet cherries, pitted and sliced
2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spread the almonds on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
2. In a small pan over a medium flame, cook the honey with 2 tablespoons water and 2 tablespoons oil (reserve the rest of the oil for the dressing) until the liquid boils. Add the toasted almonds to the pan and simmer until all the liquid is absorbed by the almonds, approximately 15 minutes. Next, sprinkle salt on top of the almonds.
3. Remove any large stems from the purslane. Place in a medium size bowl, then add the arugula and cherries.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together the rest of the olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, salt, and pepper to create the dressing. Taste and adjust salt and pepper if needed.
5. To serve, coat the salad ingredients with the dressing, plate the salad, and add honey almonds on top.