Scheduling Your Visit
The market is open Tuesday from 10 am to 2 pm, Thursday from 10 am to 2 pm, and Saturday from 8 am to 2 pm, year round. Most groups attend our Tuesday market. The Saturday market can be very crowded and is only possible to navigate in small groups. The Thursday market has abundant lunch choices and a handful of farmers. The Ferry Plaza Farmers Market operates rain or shine, but please keep in mind that it is located outdoors in an uncovered area. We encourage you to visit at different times of the year to gain an understanding of California’s harvest seasons. To learn what produce might be available each month, consult our seasonality charts.
For local elementary school classes, CUESA offers Foodwise Kids, a free program that uses the Ferry Plaza Farmers Market as a classroom for teaching students to love vegetables and fruits through comparative tastings, exploring the market, and a hands-on cooking lesson. Teachers can learn more and sign up here.
For adults, every Tuesday CUESA offers a Culinary Market Tour with Market Chef Carrie Sullivan and a guest chef from a local restaurant. Tickets must be purchased in advance. For upcoming dates and to sign up, see our calendar.
For other groups, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to request a brief introduction to the market by a CUESA staff member.
Things to Know Before Visiting
- Restrooms and drinking fountains are located inside the Ferry Building on the ground floor, at either end of the building.
- Lunch is available at all three weekly markets. Check our sellers page to find out what restaurants can be found on each market day. There are tables in the market (available only on a first-come-first-served basis) that may be sufficient for small groups; larger groups sometimes have lunch across the Embarcadero in Justin Herman Plaza.
- To make the experience more meaningful, some groups buy food together to create a communal meal or snack.
- Maps and information are available at the Information Booth. To find out more about the Info Booth, Veggie Valet, parking, and market programs and amenities, visit the market services page »
Additional Information for Schools and Youth Groups
Please bring at least one adult chaperone for every six children. The best way to enjoy the market is in small groups. Please do not let children walk around the market unsupervised.
Please review the following rules with the youth and the chaperones before your visit:
- The Ferry Plaza Farmers Market is a wonderful place to learn about where food comes from, and it is also a place of business. Please don’t block customer access to a stand. For groups of more than a few people, line up and approach each stand in pairs.
- Don’t interrupt a seller’s conversation with a customer. Wait until they are done and then ask your question.
- Ask permission at each stand before touching or sampling produce. Please do not take more than one sample per person.
- Do not lean on produce (be especially careful with clipboards).
For more information and to schedule a visit, contact Julie Cummins at email@example.com or 415.291.3276 x106.
Activities and Curriculum
For downloadable activity sheets and other resources, visit this page »
Foodwise Kids is a free program for elementary school classes that uses the Ferry Plaza Farmers Market as a classroom for teaching students to love vegetables and fruits through comparative tastings, exploring the market, and a hands-on cooking lesson. The program takes place during the school year and serves primarily low-income students. Learn more and request to bring your class »
CUESA (Center for Urban Education about Sustainable Agriculture) is dedicated to cultivating a sustainable food system through the operation of farmers markets and educational programs. Learn More »