CUESA will be the new operator of Jack London Square Farmers Market in Oakland beginning in mid-May. We are deeply honored to be taking over management of this thriving Sunday market, founded and run by PCFMA since 1989.
Building on our mission to cultivate a healthy food system, we are thrilled to expand CUESA’s work to serve the greater Bay Area with healthy, affordable, and sustainable food and educational programs. With many of our staff, chefs, and supporters based in the East Bay, we are committed to keeping Jack London Square Farmers Market by and for Oakland.
We look forward to working with current sellers and neighbors to grow the market’s current offerings. Over time, we’ll be bringing on additional sellers, providing opportunities for innovative farmers and food businesses, and introducing seasonal cooking demos and youth education programs.
On Sunday, April 24, CUESA staff will be tabling at Jack London Square Farmers Market (9 am to 2 pm) to meet and greet our new neighbors and answer questions. The market will be on hiatus for May 1 and May 8, as we prepare to reopen on Sunday, May 15.
At the Ferry Plaza Farmers Market, which is our flagship location and has been our home base for 23 years, we will continue to convene all of our incredible farmers and sellers, and produce youth and adult educational programs that support our mission. Thank you for your partnership and support as we grow our community!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Here are some responses to frequently asked questions. Check back for updates as we have more information to share.
Jack London Square Farmers Market Hours
Sundays, 9:00 am to 2:00 pm
Year-round, rain or shine
Location and Directions
Why the change to new market management?
Jack London Square is always striving to create the best possible experience for the surrounding community and greater Oakland, and the timing was perfect when the well-respected CUESA partnership was formed. CUESA will expand the offerings of the farmers market and add valuable educational programming, ideal for Oakland.
How will the transition to new management take place?
We’re hoping to make the transition run as smoothly and seamlessly as possibly. The last day of the current operator’s management will be Sunday, April 24. There will be a brief hiatus during this transition, with the market closed on May 1 and 8. The market will reopen with CUESA management on May 15. Later in the summer, CUESA will launch educational programming at Jack London Square Farmers Market.
Will my favorite vendors be invited to continue at the farmers market?
CUESA is reaching out to all current sellers to continue to sell at the market. Over time, we also hope to expand the market and introduce some new vendors, providing new opportunities for local businesses.
What is CUESA doing to keep the market affordable for Oakland residents?
CUESA is committed to maintaining affordable market offerings and services for neighborhood residents. Shoppers who use EBT (CalFresh/food stamps) can still double their dollars up to $10 per market day through the Market Match program, which offers tokens redeemable in the market for fresh fruits and vegetables.
How does CUESA plan to take the community’s wishes into consideration?
CUESA will be present at the Jack London Square Farmers Market on Sunday, April 24, and during the transition to meet customers, accept feedback, and answer questions. Residents can also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you’d like to receive updates, please sign up for our weekly newsletter (www.cuesa.org).
What can we expect during this transition?
- CUESA will be listening to the community about what they want in a farmers market.
- New vendors will be introduced over time, expanding the current market in place.
- CUESA’s plans include new educational programming benefiting local residents such as public cooking demos and youth programs.
- CUESA will offer benefits for low-income residents: EBT (CalFresh/food stamps), and EBT shoppers can double their fruits and vegetables dollars up to $10 per market day at CUESA markets through the Market Match program.
- CUESA is reaching out to East Bay chefs about becoming regular shoppers at the market. We anticipate many chefs will do weekly business with farmers.
- CUESA will host a community celebration in late summer to launch educational programming and events at Jack London Square Farmers Market.
I am interested in becoming a vendor at Jack London Square Farmers Market. How do I apply?
CUESA is currently working to transition existing vendors, but we will be adding new vendors over time, highlighting innovative local farmers and East Bay-based food businesses. Please review our criteria and apply here, indicating your interest in Jack London Square Farmers Market.
How can chefs and restaurants get involved at CUESA’s Jack London Square Farmers Market?
CUESA is excited to work with East Bay chefs, restaurants, and food businesses to support local farmers and make Jack London Square Farmers Market success. We offer many opportunities to get involved through CUESA’s chef shopping program, educational programs, and fundraising events. Please contact us email@example.com to learn more.
What community partnership opportunities are available?
We look forward to meeting and working with other organizations working to cultivate a healthy food system in Oakland and beyond. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How do I volunteer at CUESA’s Jack London Square Farmers Market?
We’ll have many opportunities to get involved at the Jack London Square Farmers Market. Learn more about CUESA’s volunteer opportunities and apply here.
Founded in 1994, CUESA (Center for Urban Education about Sustainable Agriculture) is a mission-driven nonprofit organization dedicated to cultivating a sustainable food system through the operation of farmers markets and educational programs. CUESA operates the iconic Ferry Plaza Farmers Market at the Ferry Building in San Francisco, and will operate the Jack London Farmers Market in Oakland beginning in May 2016.
We envision a healthy world nourished by environmentally sound, humane, economically viable, and socially just food systems.
Our Community Commitment
CUESA is committed to conducting its business, programs, and market activities according to the following core values: sustainability, excellence, vision, and community. CUESA pledges to:
- Operate world-class farmers markets that provide high-quality, nutritious, and safe products from local farmers, food artisans, and restaurants.
- Foster transparency in our markets by requiring truth in labeling and by offering opportunities for shoppers to learn about the foods sold at the market.
- Provide exceptional services and education programs to our market patrons.
- Incubate small food businesses and support farmers and food entrepreneurs in making their operations more sustainable.
- Expand public access to fresh fruits and vegetables and teach skills for growing and preparing them at home.
- Work toward a healthy, just, and sustainable food system through education, advocacy, and action.
Do you have further questions? Contact us at email@example.com.
Stay in touch with CUESA to receive updates about Jack London Square Farmers Market:
CUESA (Center for Urban Education about Sustainable Agriculture) is dedicated to cultivating a sustainable food system through the operation of farmers markets and educational programs. Learn More »