Pie makers, start your ovens! Autumn is upon us, which means apples, pumpkins, and nuts abound at the Ferry Plaza Farmers Market, ripe for luscious pie filling baked into a tender, flaky crust. You are invited to submit your best sweet or savory pie at CUESA’s Harvest Festival on Saturday, October 26.
In addition to taking home these fabulous prizes, the winners will receive a ribbon and be featured in the CUESA e-letter. All winners will be invited to appear on “Cooking with Ryan Scott” on KGO 810 with pie contest judge Stephanie Rosenbaum at 4 pm on the day of the contest!
- Grand Prize (value $200): Sur La Table gift certificate, Knead Patisserie gift certificate, Heath Ceramics serving platter, Ferry Plaza Farmers Market gift coins, and CUESA insulated black tote bag and apron
- Second Prize (value $100): Book Passage gift certificate, Good Eggs gift certificate, Heath Ceramics serving platter, Ferry Plaza Farmers Market gift coins, and CUESA insulated black tote bag and apron
- Third Prize (value $50): Bluestem Brasserie gift certificate, Heath Ceramics serving platter, Ferry Plaza Farmers Market gift coins, and CUESA insulated black tote bag and apron
Pies will be judged on appearance, texture, taste, and use of California-grown seasonal ingredients. Creativity and originality will also be considered. Our esteemed panel of pie mavens includes:
- John Birdsall, CHOW.com
- Rebecca Courchesne, Frog Hollow Farm
- Shauna Des Voignes, Knead Patisserie
- Lenore Estrada, Three Babes Bakeshop
- Anna Derivi-Castellanos Three Babes Bakeshop
- Anna Roth, SF Weekly
- Stephanie Rosenbaum, Bay Area Bites
- John Lagier, Lagier Ranches
- Karen Heisler, Mission Pie
Print and complete the entry form and bring it with your pie to the Ferry Plaza Farmers Market on October 26. Submissions must be received at the CUESA Classroom (under the white tents in front of the Ferry Building) between 8:00 and 10:30 am. Winners will be announced at the CUESA Classroom at 1 pm. You need not be present to win.
Pie photo from Three Babes Bakeshop, by Colin Price.
CUESA (Center for Urban Education about Sustainable Agriculture) is dedicated to cultivating a sustainable food system through the operation of the Ferry Plaza Farmers Market and its educational programs. Learn More »